November 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Jane Bashara Murder (thread #4)

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Jane Bashara Murder (thread #4)

Post by Darkman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Other forums / most current threads where Jane Bashara's Murder case is being discussed:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180306

http://www.justicequest.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=239

http://crimewatchers.forumotion.com/f14-bob-bashara

http://justice4jane.forumotion.com

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/f183-bob-bashara-jane-bashara

http://www.realitychatter.com/t3804-jane-bashara-deceased-1-24-12

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Murder With Sarcastic Intent (The 2nd Mary Cooper Mystery): Dani Amore: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Stranger Than Fiction by Dani Amore

October 16, 2012 by Elizabeth A. White

I’m pleased to welcome Dani Amore to the blog today. In addition to her latest, Murder With Sarcastic Intent, Dani is also the author of The Killing League, Dead Wood, and Death by Sarcasm, among others. And while Dani’s work is usually filled with plenty of humor, today she’s here to share her thoughts on a very serious true crime case, one that shows how truth really can be stranger than fiction.

On January 7, 2012, I was back in Grosse Pointe, Michigan, where I had once lived years ago. The occasion was a long holiday break visiting friends, one of whom had invited me to a party to watch the Lions (or the Lie-Downs as the locals call them) take on the New Orleans Saints in an NFL Wild Card playoff game.

With only a few friends at the party, I was introduced to a lot of people I had never met before.

One of them was a woman named Jane Bashara. A friend of mine was talking to her, and my friend waved me over, introduced us, and the three of us had a brief chat. Jane talked a lot about being a recent empty nester, with her youngest child now off to college. I remember thinking how tired the woman looked. Dark circles under eyes, sagging shoulders, her skin somewhat sallow. She had the look of a tired Mom who had just finished a major life milestone: getting her kids off to college, and was now, perhaps, facing the next chapter of her life.

There was a man sitting behind Jane. He caught my eye because of how unusual he looked. He was a big man, stuffed into light blue polyester pants, a white polyester shirt with blue flowers, and a white belt. And I say stuffed because both his pants and his shirt looked at least one size too small – and with a fairly sizeable paunch, the look was not flattering. He also had substantial mutton chop sideburns. All I could think was that he looked bizarre, like Randy Quaid’s character in the movie “Christmas Vacation.” He was in charge of the betting “squares” for the game. He had his sheet of paper in one hand, and a wad of cash in the other. At one point, while we were talking to Jane, he got up and walked past the three of us without a glance.

After we had finished talking to Jane and continued circulating around the party, I asked my friend, “Who is that strange-looking man?”

The reply: “That’s Bob Bashara. Jane’s husband.”

Two and a half weeks later, Jane’s body was found in the back of her SUV, parked in an alley in Detroit. She had been strangled to death.

The greater Detroit area is still a very divided community, so naturally the first reports suggested Jane had been abducted leaving work downtown. There were the usual hysterical calls to bring in the National Guard, that the city of Detroit was out of control with violence.

But a few facts immediately came to my mind. A woman is the most vulnerable to violence, especially domestic, at key life moments. For instance, when she becomes pregnant. Or threatens to leave a relationship. Or, in the back of my mind, when the last child leaves for college and one of the spouses decides it’s time to move on.

I couldn’t help but remember my initial impression of Jane’s husband. And when the subsequent unfolding of Jane’s case occurred, I wasn’t all that shocked.

It turned out to the kind of sordid story you would expect in a hardboiled crime novel. In a nutshell, it appears that “Big Bob” hired a man to kill Jane so that he could collect the insurance money and buy a house for himself and his girlfriend, a woman he engaged in S & M with in a “sex dungeon” in the basement of a bar he owned called The Hard Luck Lounge. Reportedly, Bob and his girlfriend had found a third woman, nicknamed “Obedient Slave” who was going to move from Portland to join them in the new house they would buy with Jane’s insurance money.

However, the developmentally disabled hit man turned himself in and Bashara then tried to have the hit man killed. While the case against Bashara for Jane’s murder is still being built, the second murder conspiracy was apparently pretty clear as conversations in which Bashara discussed having the hit man killed were secretly recorded. He just pled guilty to that charge. You can read the latest on the case here: http://bit.ly/P77vTG

For me, as a crime novelist, the case was especially disturbing. As someone who regularly contemplates crime and plans fictional homicides, it was deeply unsettling to come face-to-face with such a horrible crime. It’s a reminder of why I don’t often read true crime books and prefer fiction. In fact, one of the reasons many people read crime fiction is to ultimately see good triumph over evil.

In the case of Jane Bashara, I can only hope that justice will ultimately be served.

-----

Dani Amore is a novelist living and writing in Los Angeles, California. In addition to Murder With Sarcastic Intent, Dani is also the author of The Killing League, Dead Wood, and Death by Sarcasm, among others. You can catch up with Dani on her blog, Deadly Sarcasm, as well as on Twitter.

----------

Original Source:

http://www.elizabethawhite.com/2012/10/16/stranger-than-fiction-by-dani-amore/#more-20049

alternatively you can still read it (for now anyhow) HERE:

Code:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BqxGiQhSXn8J:www.elizabethawhite.com/2012/10/16/stranger-than-fiction-by-dani-amore
or HERE:

http://janebashara.americantalk.net/t11p50-jane-bashara-murder-thread-4#528

( or simply HERE: http://janebashara.americantalk.net/t11p50-jane-bashara-murder-thread-4 )

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:11 pm

This was posted at Justice4Jane forum:

( on this page: http://justice4jane.forumotion.com/t53-bashara-sentencing-nov-20th-and-gentz-trial-jan-7th )

Fifteen30 wrote:
A friend forwarded this to me today. It's from the blog of Elizabeth White, an author. She writes:

"I’m pleased to welcome Dani Amore to the blog today. In addition to her latest, Murder With Sarcastic Intent, Dani is also the author of The Killing League, Dead Wood, and Death by Sarcasm, among others. And while Dani’s work is usually filled with plenty of humor, today she’s here to share her thoughts on a very serious true crime case, one that shows how truth really can be stranger than fiction."

You can visit the blog at: http://www.elizabethawhite.com/2012/10/16/stranger-than-fiction-by-dani-amore

The author, Dani Amore, provides an insightful first impression when she met Jane. However, at first glance, I was offended when I read her physical description of Jane. I expected to read how much the author enjoyed meeting Jane...how friendly, smart, funny, and special she found her to be. Instead I read how "haggared" she looked. Jumping to come to Jane's defense, I stopped myself long enough to reflect. I ended up having to agree with the author. Even so, at first I chalked up Jane's "haggard appearance" to a big and stressful project she was working on. But upon further reflection, I realized Jane had looked worn down the last two times I was with her in January, one of these times only 3 days before she was murdered. She also looked this way in December. I wonder how long she looked this way. I wish I had paid more attention...I REALLY wish I had noticed!

At any rate, I'd like to know if others agree with the author's description of Jane and if so, how long she looked this way. Your thoughts and opinions?

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:13 pm

This reply was also posted at Justice4Jane forum:

( on this page: http://justice4jane.forumotion.com/t53-bashara-sentencing-nov-20th-and-gentz-trial-jan-7th )

kittygirl wrote:
Some of the things in her post are factually incorrect. I don't know why people feel the need to write about things when their research is half-assed.

Sorry if this is blunt, but I have little patience these days due to personal issues and seeing those fallacies irks me.

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Following by this reply ... also at Justice4Jane forum:

Fifteen30 wrote:
I agree. I noticed the inaccuracies, too. Her assessment of Jane, though, is what really threw me.....

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: The above article: ( or http://janebashara.americantalk.net/t11p50-jane-bashara-murder-thread-4#528 )

juliekan wrote:
very interesting
Glad you found that info interesting, at the least, juliekan

... cuz some people at J4J forum, looks like did NOT ... check it out:

http://justice4jane.forumotion.com/t53-bashara-sentencing-nov-20th-and-gentz-trial-jan-7th

... "Big mouth" chewet in particular ... She even HAD TO make a rude comment about some people that i know and yours truly Smile (when i didn't even touch her) Sad

This one in particular:

"WORD: Do. Not. MESS. With My City, LNS, Darkman or whomever else you think you are. Go back to your obsession with "Dancing With the Stars" & your freak addiction to satellite dishes & Euro music."

--

What a heck?? .. Big boss, super hero, chewet ... I didn't even write that article (simply found it and shared it at couple of forums and with few other people .. but looks like someone "brought it" to J4J forum) .. BUT she had to attack me??

So.... Someone might like "Dancing with the Stars" (such a big crime, eh?) .. and my hobby used to be satellite dishes on my house and garage roofs ... and i happen to like some music .. SO WHAT? Very Happy

Pretty rude, if you ask me...........

It ticked me off enough to go to that blog, where the article, that mentioned the woman meeting Jane at that party, was posted (HERE, that is) .... and post quite an agressive comment there towards J4J people (in comments), that, more likely, won't even get approved by the site owner Smile

I mght as well post it here then (why let "good thing" go to waste, J/K))))

They tend to mention me there quite often (or often enough for me) for some reason, so why can't i reply to them as well?

So .... in case (and more likely) my post at that blog won't get approved ... - here goes what i wrote there in comments:

--------------

6 Responses to “Stranger Than Fiction by Dani Amore”

Darkman says:
(Your comment is awaiting moderation.)

October 18, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I found this post and posted it’s info at a couple of forums where people, including me, discuss Jane Bashara’s murder case… (together with the source – the address of this page, and the link to the “Murder With Sarcastic Intent” book at Amazon)…
And people there seemed to appreciate the info.
Then i showed the info to couple more people that i know … and they showed it to someone else, and then the info eventually arrived to J4J forum .. and now J4J elite regulars are bashing the info here, the author, me, the other person etc..

http://justice4jane.forumotion.com/t53-bashara-sentencing-nov-20th-and-gentz-trial-jan-7th

How sad.. Sad

So,

Losers at J4J, shut the hell up… especially you, Chewet. Don’t bring me up, you don’t know jack about me to judge me…. – so i had some dishes on my house.. So what?? .. – that house is sold long ago – so no more dishes..)))))

And the music i like is NOT “Euro music” .. but Klezmer / Jewish / Yiddish and some good Jazz.. (There is a difference, believe you me… – to me, with my “broken” English, “Euro music” sounds like some Euro Pop))))

So Stay in your little J4J sandbox (where you are SO brave .. with your tight, almost closed, forum registration) and don’t bash others, including Bob Bashara’s other family members … who are NOT involved in Jane’s murder.. not suspects, not even POI Wink

“Wow, just wow”, “Keep on keeping on … keep on keeping on” — You like to repeat everything twice, don’t you?

Maybe start showing some class instead, you, one of “classy upper-echelon ladies of GP” (as someone, that you know, once described to me the ladies of GP) and / or close by. Wink

P.S.

Even Jane’s friend, sounds like, appreciated the info found on this page (after giving it some consideration) …

Were you Jane’s friend? … Somehow, i don’t think so…

I bet Jane had WAY MORE class than some of you J4J forum-mates…

Kitty sweetie – hello! Smile

-----------

Source: http://www.elizabethawhite.com/2012/10/16/stranger-than-fiction-by-dani-amore/#more-20049 (where I don't count, too much, on it being posted))))

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:41 am

Found an article about that Dani Amore (who, on January 7, 2012, attended the party, the one that Jane and Bob attended as well)

You can check it out HERE:

Fact: I was born on a bathroom floor. Literally. My arrival into this world was followed seconds later by an unceremonious drop onto the cold tile of St. John’s Hospital in Detroit, Michigan... (Click)

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:04 am

I see Dani Amore's book Dead Wood is about a murder in Grosse Pointe, Michigan.

In the exclusive enclave of Grosse Pointe, Michigan, a beautiful woman who builds custom guitars is murdered. A disgraced cop turned private investigator is hired by the dead woman’s father and immediately becomes the target of a violent ex-convict. An enigmatic music star performs damage control on her links to the dead woman. And a professional killer is brought into town by a mysterious employer.

--

"As gritty as the Detroit streets where it's set, DEAD WOOD grabs you early on and doesn't let go. As fine a a debut as you'll come across this year, maybe any year." --Tom Schreck...

----

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12499621-dead-wood

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:52 am

Hmmm ... Looks like not only laywers behave inappropriately on an occasion (example: Griem) ... but, from time to time, the judges as well... Rolling Eyes

Maybe as a punishment they will tell the judge: "To Bobby's dungeon you go! .. and no pay for you for time being!" Very Happy

---------

October 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Reprimand 'insufficient' for Wayne County judge, high court says

By Lauren Abdel-Razzaq
The Detroit News

The Michigan Supreme Court has rejected a decision by the Judicial Tenure Committee to verbally reprimand a Wayne County Circuit Court judge who's accused of official misconduct, saying the sanction wasn't severe enough.

Judge Bruce U. Morrow is being investigated by the commission for inappropriate conduct while on the bench, according to a Supreme Court order issued Friday.

The commission and Morrow's camp had reached a deal to accept public censure. But the Supreme Court said in the order it rejects the recommendation "on the ground that the proposed discipline is insufficient in light of the facts presented to the Court."

Morrow, who is presiding over pretrial proceedings in the Robert Bashara solicitation-of-murder case, is under investigation for four incidents that occurred from 2006 to 2009, according to a report filed by the Judicial Tenure Commission.

In one, he is accused of improperly closing his courtroom during a hearing on a request for a new trial by convicted murderer Jean Pierre Orlewicz. He also allegedly excluded members of the victim's family from the post-conviction hearing and improperly ordered his court reporter not to prepare transcripts of the hearing.

In other incidents, he is accused of failing to impose a mandatory jail sentence for a drunken driver, removing an armed robbery defendant from lockup and bringing him into court with no security present, and failing to secure permission before reviewing a defendant's medical records.

According to documents filed with the court, two of the commission members felt public reprimand wasn't a severe enough sentence and urged suspension without pay for 60-90 days.

The Supreme Court is sending the matter back to the commission, which must present a new recommendation or status report within 42 days.

"Here, respondent's actions occurred on the bench, and as found by the Commission, were premeditated, constituted misconduct actually prejudicial to the administration of justice, and undermined the ability of the justice system to discover the truth of what occurred in a legal controversy," the Supreme Court order reads.

Marcia McBrien, spokeswoman for the Michigan Supreme Court, said the court has a policy of not commenting on pending cases.

Justices Michael Cavanaugh and Diane Hathaway agreed with the commission's decision to publicly censure Morrow. Seven justices sit on the Michigan Supreme Court.

Paul Fischer, a commission member who is authorized to speak on the case, could not be reached Friday.

Morrow's lawyer did not immediately return a request for comment.

Upon receiving a complaint about a judge, the Judicial Tenure Commission typically either decides to dismiss allegations or investigate.

The commission can choose to send a cautionary letter to the judge or ask for a letter of explanation, neither of which constitutes discipline. If conduct is more serious, an admonition is issued and the case can be sent to the Supreme Court for approval.

Judge Michael Talbot, now with the Michigan Court of Appeals, spent six years on the Judicial Tenure Commission. He says most cases end up being settled between the commission and the parties involved before reaching the High Court.

"A lot of this can be worked out," said Talbot. "Matters that are sent before the Supreme Court, it's a pretty rare occurrence."

The commission bases its decisions on a set of factors, including whether the misconduct occurred on or off the bench, whether it's spontaneous or premeditated behavior, and to what degree it undermines the justice system. Premeditated conduct occurring on the bench, which is what the order describes Morrow's conduct as, is considered a more serious offense.

lrazzaq@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2127

----

Source: From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121026/METRO01/210260531

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:15 am

Same subject matter:

------

October 27, 2012 at 1:00 am

High court says sanctions against Judge Bruce U. Morrow insufficient

----

Read at the source from The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121027/METRO/210270328

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:38 am

Michigan Supreme Court orders stronger punishment for Judge Bruce Morrow

1:19 PM, October 26, 2012

Read at the Source: http://www.freep.com/article/20121026/NEWS06/121026063/Michigan-Supreme-Court-orders-stronger-punishment-Judge-Bruce-Morrow

or:

Michigan Supreme Court wants more than verbal reprimand of judge

October 27, 2012

By Dawson Bell
Detroit Free Press

----

Read at the Source: http://www.freep.com/article/20121027/NEWS06/310270069/Michigan-Supreme-Court-wants-more-than-verbal-reprimand-judge

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 am

10/28/2012

Michigan Supreme Court Rejects Public Censure of Hon. Bruce Morrow, Calls For Hearings On More Stringent Sanction

In its second order on judicial misconduct in as many days, the Michigan Supreme Court, in a 5-2 decision, rejected an agreement on public censure between the Judicial Tenure Commission and Wayne County Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow, and ordered the JTC to conduct further hearings: ...

---------

Read the rest at the Source: http://sbmblog.typepad.com/sbm-blog/2012/10/michigan-supreme-court-rejects-public-censure-of-hon-bruce-morrow-calls-for-hearings-on-more-stringe.html

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 am

Exclusive: Bob Bashara Expected to Be Charged in Wife's Murder

Allan Lengel
allan@deadlinedetroit.com

November 13th, 2012, 3:40 PM

More trouble appears to await Bob Bashara, the Grosse Pointe Park businessman who has pleaded guilty for trying to put a hit on handyman Joe Gentz, the man accused of killing Bashara’s wife Jane.

Law enforcement sources tell Deadline Detroit that authorities plan to charge Bashara with the murder of his wife.

I expect charges, absolutely,” said one source. “It’s not a question of if, but when.”

Last month, Bashara pleaded guilty to solicitation of murder of Gentz. Prosecutors have argued that he should get anywhere from about seven to 11 years in prison. His attorney has reportedly argued that a more appropriate sentence would be four to seven years. Sentencing is set for Tuesday, but is likely to be delayed.

Trial for Gentz has been set for Jan. 7. His attorney has previously indicated that he may plead guilty and testify against Bashara if necessary. Law enforcement authorities expect Gentz to cop a plea. Gentz's attorney Susan Reed could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Mark Kriger, Bashara’s attorney, declined to comment for this story.

Grosse Pointe Park Police Chief David Hill declined to comment on specifics of the case, saying only: “There’s always an ongoing investigation in a case like this. As things develop, I’m sure you’ll hear more.”

-----

More at the Source: http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/2640/exclusive_bob_bashara_expected_to_be_charged_in_wife_s_murder

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:01 am

Wayne County Circuit Court records now available online for public viewing

By Gus Burns | fburns@mlive.com
on November 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM, updated November 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM

DETROIT — Wayne County's 3rd Circuit Court has had a technological breakthrough.

Court records, at least certain details about cases — mostly scheduling, charges, party information and pleadings — are now available via the Internet.

This is much easier than calling or visiting a kiosk downtown for basic information about a case.

Check it out: https://cmspublic.3rdcc.org

Maria Miller, the director of communications for Prosecutor Kym Worthy's office, announced the system's launch Tuesday.

Any felony case that has been bound over to the Circuit Court from District Court should be accessible on the website, according to court officials. To see the documents contained in a court file, they must be viewed in person.

A statement on the website, "Documents filed by parties are not currently accessible online," leaves open a window of hope that someday filed documents may too be online.

Although you must pay for access, federal filing are currently available online on Public Access to Court Electronic Records, Revered to as Pacer.

District court filing must be viewed in person.

To explore what is available on the new online Wayne County Circuit Court Odyssey Public Access records system, I looked up Robert "Bob" Bashara.

Bashara's well known case involves the strangulation death of his wife, allegedly at the hands of Bashara's handyman, Joseph Gentz.

Bashara, who has been named a "person of interest" in his wife's death but never charged, was subsequently charged with soliciting a hit-man to kill Gentz in jail while he awaited trial.

After accepting the terms on the website, I selected Third Circuit Court criminal records.

Typing in Bashara's full name reveals a single case file, provides his name on record, birth date, filing, the charge of felony solicitation of murder and case file no.

Selecting the case file opens another screen with more information pertinent to the happenings in the case. Listed at 30 different dates, including the would-be trial date of Nov. 9, which the court cancelled on Oct. 11 when Bashara pleaded guilty to the charge.

His sentencing is now set for Dec. 10 before Judge Bruce U. Morrow.

This system, although a longtime coming, is undoubtedly a positive step toward increasing the ease of public information dissemination in Wayne County.

MLive Detroit has requested information related to the costs associated with implementing the new system.

---------

Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2012/11/wayne_county_circuit_court_rec.html

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 am

Yup ... Sure thing! ... - as indicated in the above article Bob Bashara's sentencing was changed from Nov. 20, 2012 to Dec. 10, 2012

I did exactly what was suggested above .. and accessed Bashara's full file at the link provided in above post.

Here is BB's latest info, for example: (starting, say, from August 31, 2012)

08/31/2012 Motion
Motion for Modification of Release Decision and Memorandum in Support
09/13/2012 Motion Hearing (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Morrow, Bruce U.)
Parties Present
09/07/2012 Reset by Court to 09/13/2012
Result: Continued
09/17/2012 Motion
FOR MODIFICATION OF RELEASE CONDITIONS IS DENIED. SIGNED AND FILED.
09/18/2012 CANCELED Motion Hearing (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Morrow, Bruce U.)
Case Disposed/Order Previously Entered
MOTION RULED ON ON 9/17/2012

10/11/2012 Pre-Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Morrow, Bruce U.)
Parties Present
Result: Plea Entered and Accepted
10/11/2012 Plea of Guilty Accepted (Judicial Officer: Morrow, Bruce U. )
10/11/2012 Order For DNA Sample (Judicial Officer: Morrow, Bruce U. )
10/11/2012 Refer to Probation For Pre-Sentence Report (Judicial Officer: Morrow, Bruce U. )

11/09/2012 CANCELED Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Morrow, Bruce U.)
pled guilty on 10/11/2012

11/12/2012 CANCELED Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Morrow, Bruce U.)
pled guilty on 10/11/12

12/10/2012 Sentencing (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Morrow, Bruce U.) 11/20/2012 Reset by Court to 12/10/2012

-------

Pretty useful tool!

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:27 pm

Bashara sentencing delayed

By Mitch Hotts
mitch.hotts@macombdaily.com; @mhotts

The sentencing date for Robert Bashara on charges of solicitation to murder Joe Gentz has been pushed back to Dec. 10 in Wayne County Circuit Court, the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office announced today.

The initial sentencing was scheduled for Tuesday. In announcing the postponement, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Maria Miller gave no explanation for the date change.

---------

More at the Source: http://www.macombdaily.com/article/20121115/NEWS01/121119786/bashara-sentencing-delayed

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:28 pm

November 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Bashara sentencing delayed

By The Detroit News

Sentencing is rescheduled for Dec. 10 for Robert Bashara, who pleaded guilty to trying to hire a hit man to kill his former handyman, the Wayne County prosecutor's office said Thursday.

Bashara, 54, of Grosse Pointe, admitted on Oct. 11 that he tried to hire someone to kill Joseph Gentz, who is charged with the murder of Bashara's wife, Jane.

Bashara, who was remains in the Wayne County jail, was scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 20.

Gentz told police Bashara paid him to kill his wife.

Jane Bashara's body was discovered on Jan. 25.

Gentz was charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder, meaning prosecutors believe he had help.

Gentz's trial is scheduled for Jan. 7.

-----------

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121115/METRO/211150453

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Bashara Sentencing Postponed Until Dec. 10

By Toni Stinson, the author, 3:45 pm

Bob Bashara's sentencing hearing has been postponed from Tuesday, Nov. 20 to Dec. 10 at 8:30 a.m.

On Oct. 11, Bashara, a Grosse Pointe Park resident, appeared before Judge Bruce U. Morrow in Wayne County Circuit Court on a charge that he hired a hitman to kill Joe Gentz. Bashara pleaded guilty to solicitation of murder.

Under the terms of the plea agreement, Bashara could be sentenced up to 135 months in jail for the crime.

Gentz is the handyman who is accused of first-degree murder in the strangulation death of Jane Bashara, Bob Bashara’s wife. Joe Gentz's trial is set for Jan. 7 in Wayne Country Circuit Court.

-----

More at the Source: http://grossepointe.patch.com/articles/bashara-sentencing-postponed-until-dec-10

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 pm

Detroit
November 21, 2012

Bashara sentencing rescheduled for December

By K. Michelle Moran
C & G Staff Writer

DETROIT — It will be at least a couple more weeks before defendant Robert Bashara finds out how much time he will be spending behind bars for trying to hire someone to kill handyman Joseph Gentz.

A sentencing hearing for Bashara, 54, of Grosse Pointe Park, was rescheduled from Nov. 20 to 8:30 a.m. Dec. 10 in 3rd Circuit Court in Detroit. According to a spokesperson for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, the hearing had to be changed because Judge Bruce R. Morrow, who is handling the case, was unavailable for the Nov. 20 date.

During a pretrial conference Oct. 11 in front of Morrow, Bashara pled guilty to a charge of solicitation to commit murder. In June, the property manager/businessman was charged with solicitation of murder for hiring someone to kill Gentz, 48, the Grosse Pointe Park handyman who reportedly told police he killed Bashara’s wife, Jane Bashara, at her husband’s behest in January. Bashara has denied any involvement in his wife’s murder. Gentz is slated to face a jury trial on charges of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in January. At press time, that trial was slated to start at 9 a.m. Jan. 7, 2013, in front of 3rd Circuit Court Judge Vonda Evans.

Last month, Morrow said Bashara was facing 51-85 months or 81-135 months in prison, depending on how the judge rules on the question of victimization of a victim, or predatory conduct. That was the only variable on which prosecutors and the defense disagreed. Solicitation of murder, a felony, can carry a maximum sentence of life in prison.

You can reach C & G Staff Writer K. Michelle Moran at kmoran@candgnews.com or at (586)498-1047.

---------

Source: http://www.candgnews.com/news/bashara-sentencing-rescheduled-december

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:25 am

The death of Jane Bashara

November 23, 2012

---- latest summary, basically ----

http://www.freep.com/article/99999999/NEWS02/120625071/The-death-Jane-Bashara

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:10 am

November 26, 2012 at 1:00 am

Ex-Bashara attorney faces civil sentencing

Detroit — The first attorney retained for Robert Bashara is expected to be sentenced Monday in 36th District Court for civil contempt after violating a judge's order by sharing evidence with his client's relatives.

David Griem, who represented Bashara after the January slaying of his wife, Jane Bashara, admitted to Chief Judge Kenneth King last month that he shared evidence with Bashara's relatives. In a deal with Wayne County prosecutors, Griem accepted the civil contempt offense, avoiding a possible ruling of criminal contempt. He could be fined.

-----

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121126/METRO01/211260339

Spoiler:

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Former Bashara attorney David Griem ordered to pay $8K for civil contempt of court

11:07 AM, November 26, 2012

David Griem — the former attorney for Bob Bashara, who has been called a suspect in his wife’s murder — was ordered today to pay $8,000 in attorney and court fees after being found in civil contempt of court last month.

Previously, Griem pleaded responsibility to civil contempt, to avoid being held in criminal contempt. Griem was accused of improperly sharing evidence with Bashara’s family and issuing unauthorized subpoenas.

Today, 36th District Court Chief Judge Kenneth King ordered that Griem pay $2,000 in fees each to Susan Reed — the attorney for Joseph Gentz, Bashara’s former handyman who has been charged in Jane Bashara’s murder — and the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, and $4,000 to the court within 90 days.

King said Griem, up to the point of these charges, had an “impeccable” record.

“Mr. Griem’s conduct was atypical of him and his record, but was nonetheless egregious,” he said.

Griem did not comment after the hearing....

--------

Read more: http://www.freep.com/article/20121126/NEWS02/121126031/david-griem-bob-bashara-contempt-court

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:59 pm

November 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

Ex-Bashara attorney to pay $8K for violating court rules

By Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

Detroit — The first attorney retained for Robert Bashara was ordered Monday to pay $8,000 in attorney fees and court costs for violating court rules.

Chief 36th District Court Judge Kenneth J. King called the behavior of lawyer David Griem "atypical," before imposing the civil contempt fines for Griem, whom he called an "outstanding" and "well-respected" attorney.

"I have two instances in which Mr. Griem disregarded rules of this courtroom, and the orders of this court that as we know have to be followed," King said.

In a deal with Wayne County prosecutors, Griem accepted the civil contempt offense, avoiding a possible ruling of criminal contempt.

King ordered Griem to pay $4,000 to the court for the time expended on the cases. He ruled Reed and the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office would each be paid $2,000 for the estimated 10 hours dedicated to research, meetings and court appearances related to the cases. The fines must be paid by Feb. 26, King said.

Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy, said Monday: "We are satisfied with the monetary fine and believe it was certainly warranted under these particular facts."

Griem declined to comment after the hearing. His attorneys, Jeffrey Edison and Ken Mogill, also would not discuss King's decision.

--------

Read more from The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121126/METRO01/211260380

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Bashara attorney ordered to pay fines in contempt case

David Griem to pay $8,000 after being found in civil contempt of court

Published On: Nov 26 2012 12:03:32 PM EST Updated On: Nov 26 2012 12:04:52 PM EST

-----

Read more: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Bashara-attorney-ordered-to-pay-fines-in-contempt-case/-/1719418/17549436/-/bvw8kiz/-/index.html

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Attorney in Bob Bashara and Stephen Grant cases, David Griem, ordered to pay $8K in contempt case

Published: Monday, November 26, 2012

---------

Read more: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2012/11/26/news/local_news/doc50b3a05c1f546721947265.txt

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Former Bashara attorney David Griem fined in Contempt of Court case

---- Watch Video (1:45) ----

Posted: 12:20 PM
Last Updated: 12 minutes ago

By: Tara Edwards

DETROIT (WXYZ) - David Greim stood quietly in a courtroom in 36th District Court Monday morning in Detroit.

The attorney is charged with and pled guilty to civil cases of Contempt Of Court. It was alleged Greim, Bob Bashara’s former attorney issued a false subpoena for records on Joe Gentz.

Greim, is no longer representing Bashara on this case. Gentz has been charged in the murder of Bashara’s wife, Jane Bashara.

Bashara, recently admitted to trying to hire someone to kill Gentz, his former handyman. He pled guilty to solicitation of murder.

Prosecutors say Greim, also violated the discovery order. Important information can only be viewed by attorney and client. It was reported that someone else had access to the discoveries in Bashara’s case.

Monday morning, Chief Judge Kenneth King, ordered Greim to pay $2,000 to Susan Reed. Reed represents Gentz.

Greim was also ordered to pay $2,000 to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s office, and $4,000 in court fees.

He will have until Febuary 26th to pay the money.

If it is not paid by then, he will face more serious charges.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/wayne_county/former-bashara-attorney-guilty-of-contempt-of-court

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:12 pm

David Griem ordered to pay $8K in contempt case

Posted: Nov 26, 2012 11:05 AM CST
Updated: Nov 26, 2012 11:05 AM CST

---- Good Video from Court (1:39) ----

DETROIT (AP) -- The ex-lawyer for a Detroit-area man whose wife was strangled has been ordered to pay $8,000 in a contempt case...

-----

More at the Source: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20185431/david-griem-ordered-to-pay-8k-in-contempt-case

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Detroit
November 26, 2012

Griem faces fines for civil contempt of court charges

By K. Michelle Moran
C & G Staff Writer

Robert Bashara’s former defense attorney, David Griem, will have to fork over $8,000 in attorney and court fees in connection with two civil contempt charges against him.

During a hearing Nov. 26 in front of 36th District Court Chief Judge Kenneth King, King agreed to the fines that attorneys requested for Griem’s violation of a protective order regarding discovery materials and the issuance of an improper subpoena. Griem apologized to the court and accepted responsibility for both charges at an Oct. 12 show cause hearing and said the violations were unintentional.

Griem had been accused by Wayne County prosecuting attorneys Lisa Lindsey and Robert Moran of sharing discovery materials with members of Bashara’s family, which prosecutors said violated a protective order regarding discovery materials in that case. Griem had also been accused by Susan Reed — the defense attorney representing murder suspect Joseph Gentz, whom Bashara admitted he tried to have killed — of filing a subpoena for a nonexistent case to obtain records on Gentz.

Moran argued for a fee of $200 an hour for 10 hours for the work he and Lindsey did with regard to this issue, including meetings with Reed and the presiding judge of 3rd Circuit Court.

“We spent considerably more than 10 hours (on this matter). … We think $200 an hour is reasonable,” Moran told the court.

Reed agreed with the fine request of $200 an hour for 10 hours of her time, “even though more (time) than that was expended (by me),” she said.

King felt the request was appropriate.

“This court has had extensive discussions … regarding reaching a number that is at least palatable” to those involved, the judge said.

King noted that the fines don’t impact Griem’s license to practice law, a license that until now “has been impeccable.”

“He has been an outstanding attorney,” the judge continued. “Mr. Griem’s conduct was atypical of him … but was nonetheless egregious.”

King said there were two instances in this case in which Griem “violated orders of the court.”

“Orders of the court have to be followed, or there will be chaos,” King said.

Although he didn’t elaborate, King said he understood there “may have been some extenuating circumstances Mr. Griem may have been in at the time” he violated the court orders.

Jeffrey Edison, one of Griem’s attorneys, didn’t object to the attorney fees but did ask the court to consider all of the competing interests involved and the integrity of the process.

“Given all of the different considerations … we’d ask the court ultimately to arrive at a balance that is equitable and just,” Edison said.

King said he felt the $200 an hour fee met that criteria.

He said $200 an hour was “more than reasonable. I’ve seen much lesser attorneys receive attorney fees of $300 an hour” in instances like this, King said.

In addition to $2,000 for Reed and $2,000 for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, King asked for $2,000 for each of the charges in fines for the court itself, for a total of $4,000 for the court, and $8,000 in total fines.

The fines for the court are “in no way cumulative,” King said, noting that they’ve spent more than 10 hours on these matters.

“This court has expended a number of hours of research (and) reading motions, and it’s taken up a lot of the court’s time,” he said.

The fines must be paid within 90 days. King set Feb. 26, 2013, as the deadline.

A seemingly upbeat Griem exchanged pleasantries with members of the media while members of his legal team met with King, Moran, Reed and Lindsey behind closed doors for about 30 minutes to discuss the fines before the judge issued his decision. However, after court, Griem was uncharacteristically silent, deferring to his attorneys, Edison and Ken Mogill, both of whom declined to comment on the decision.

“He’s not saying anything,” Mogill said of Griem.

You can reach C & G Staff Writer K. Michelle Moran at kmoran@candgnews.com or at (586)498-1047.

--------

Source: http://www.candgnews.com/news/griem-faces-fines-civil-contempt-court-charges

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Former Bashara lawyer fined in contempt case

By Mitch Hotts
mitch.hotts@macombdaily.com; @mhotts

Posted: 11/26/12 03:18 pm

-------

Read at the Source:

http://www.macombdaily.com/article/20121126/NEWS01/121129710/0/SEARCH/former-bashara-lawyer-fined-in-contempt-case#full_story

or:

http://www.dailytribune.com/article/20121126/NEWS01/121129717/former-bashara-lawyer-fined-in-contempt-case#full_story

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Darkman wrote:Bashara attorney ordered to pay fines in contempt case

David Griem to pay $8,000 after being found in civil contempt of court

Published On: Nov 26 2012 12:03:32 PM EST Updated On: Nov 26 2012 12:04:52 PM EST

-----

Read more: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Bashara-attorney-ordered-to-pay-fines-in-contempt-case/-/1719418/17549436/-/bvw8kiz/-/index.html
Updated On: Nov 26 2012 05:39:54 PM EST

---- Video added at the source (1:36) ----

--

David Griem described "today" the way only David Griem could: "It's a tough day, but I am doing better than the Lions, the Pistons and the Red Wings..." Very Happy

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:45 pm

... Griem's attorney, Kenneth Mogill, said dozens of people, including lawyers, police officers and at least one judge sent letters of support for his client. Mogill said he turned 11 of the letters over to the court.

The letters of support for Griem, Mogill said, show "how well he's regarded by such a very, very large number of folks who he's worked with or against." ...

http://www.freep.com/article/20121127/NEWS01/311270039/Ex-Bob-Bashara-lawyer-ordered-to-pay-8-000

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 am

lol...

Grim News for Attorney David Griem: Judge Fines Him in Bashara Case

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/2798/grim_news_for_attorney_david_griem_judge_fines_him_in_bashara_case

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Few days ago lawman9 (who posted an occasional "tip" over at Hinky Meter) posted this over at Justice for Jane forum:

"... A bird told me that we will have great news before Christmas.The Bird has been accurate in the past. Let's all hope the Bird is correct!"

------

Source: http://justice4jane.forumotion.com/t53p50-bashara-sentencing-nov-20th-and-gentz-trial-jan-7th

P.S. Bob Bashara is to be sentenced (for soliciting to commit murder) on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. before Judge Bruce U. Morrow, according to various media reports.

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Bashara’s sentence likely to be 5-7 years

By Jameson Cook
jamie.cook@macombdaily.com @jamesoncook
Posted: 12/08/12 06:23 am

Bob Bashara likely will be sentenced to between five and seven years Monday after admitting he tried to hire someone to kill Joe Gentz.

Bashara is scheduled to be sentenced in the morning by Judge Bruce Morrow of Wayne County Circuit Court in Detroit after pleading guilty two months ago to solicitation of murder.

Wayne County prosecutors argued previously that Bashara should spend between seven and 11 years behind bars, claiming his behavior was predatory. But prosecutors have agreed that he should be punished within the lower range, conceding his behavior was not predatory, according to its sentencing memorandum.

Proseuctors, however, will ask that Morrow sentence Bashara at the top of the range, 85 months, while Bashara’s attorney, Mark Kriger, will seek 63 months, according to arguments submitted for the sentencing. Morrow could go as low as 51 months, less Bashara’s time-served. Morrow’s maximum penalty could be up to life.

Kriger is expected to point to Bashara’s many charitable contributions in the Grosse Pointe community as a reason to sentence him to less time. Bashara owns and leases multiple properties.

Bashara admitted he paid a man to have Gentz, his former handyman, killed in a Wayne County jail, where Gentz is being held for murdering and conspiring to murder Bashara’s wife, Jane, 56, in the couple’s Grosse Pointe Park garage.

Even though Bashara was named as a person of interest in his wife’s murder, attorneys say that Judge Morrow cannot formally let that affect his sentence.

“I don’t think the court can or should consider it,” said Macomb County criminal defense attorney Stephen Rabaut. “It should not be a factor in the guidelines.

“I don’t think there’s enough evidence — based on what we know so far — to tie him to the case. Nothing is substantiated to this point.”

The primary known evidence against Bashara is Gentz’s reported statement to police that Bashara paid him to strangle Jane Bashara, a Mount Clemens native, on Jan. 24. Her body was found the next day in her SUV parked in an eastside Detroit alley.

Even the murder case didn’t factor into the guidelines. Local criminal defense attorney Craig Tank said Morrow will be challenged to ignore it.

“I think it would be hard for anyone,” he said. “Face it, it’s the elephant in the room. I suspect that it will be difficult for the judge to separate the underlying murder.”

Police and prosecutors say Bashara paid Steve Tibaudo, a Detroit furniture store owner, $2,000 as a 10-percent down payment to have Gentz killed in the William Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramck.

The plot developed as Bashara grew increasingly worried about Gentz’s potential testimony in the Jane Bashara case and sought to have him killed to prevent him from taking the stand, according to prosecutors

After Bashara’s initial offer, Tibaudo went to police and wore a hidden wire to secretly tape-record future conversations with Bashara. Portions of the conversations were played in court during Bashara’s preliminary examination.

The fact that Gentz, formerly of St. Clair Shores, has been charged with not only murder but conspiracy to commit murder has led to speculation that Bashara will face charges for his wife’s death.

“I think he will be charged,” Tank said.

Gentz faces a pretrial Thursday in front of Wayne Circuit Judge Vonda Evans during which legal motions are expected to be considered.

------------

Source: http://www.macombdaily.com/article/20121208/NEWS01/121209575/bashara-s-sentence-likely-to-be-5-7-years#full_story

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 am

Bob Bashara to be sentenced Monday for soliciting hit on handyman

By Gus Burns | fburns@mlive.com
on December 09, 2012 at 1:00 PM, updated December 09, 2012 at 3:10 PM

What long strange trip the Bob Bashara saga has been.

Despite the fact that Bob Bashara will be sentenced to prison tomorrow, the tale is likely far from over.

Bob Bashara in October accepted a Wayne County Prosecutor's Office deal in which he pleaded guilty to soliciting a hit on his one-time handyman Joseph Gentz.

Prosecutors say Bashara, a property investor and landlord with greater than $4 million in assets, began looking for a way to quiet his former handyman...

------

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2012/12/bob_bashara_to_be_sentenced_to.html

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:23 am

Bashara to be sentenced today in hit man case

December 10, 2012

By Gina Damron
Detroit Free Press Staff

Bob Bashara of Grosse Pointe Park was charged with solicitation to murder handyman Joseph Gentz. He pleaded guilty in October. / July photo by KATHLEEN GALLIGAN/Detroit Free Press

Two months ago, Bob Bashara -- called a suspect in his wife's killing by police -- admitted he tried to arrange a hit on the man who said he killed Jane Bashara at her husband's direction.

Today, Bob Bashara will be sentenced in Wayne County Circuit Court on a charge of solicitation to murder handyman Joseph Gentz.

Bashara pleaded guilty in October to the charge, saying he tried to pay Steve Tibaudo, a local furniture and appliance store owner, to find someone to kill Gentz, who is facing first-degree murder and conspiracy charges in the January killing of Jane Bashara.

Bashara has not been charged in connection with his wife's death.

Susan Reed, Gentz's attorney, previously said her client would be willing to testify against Bashara if he is charged in that case.

-----

More at the Source: http://www.freep.com/article/20121210/NEWS02/312100111/Bashara-to-be-sentenced-today-in-hit-man-case

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Bashara booked into state prison after sentencing in attempted hit-for-hire

4:08 PM, December 10, 2012

By Gina Damron
Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

Grosse Pointe Park businessman Bob Bashara was booked in the Michigan Department of Corrections reception center in Jackson today, just hours after being sentenced to serve 80 months to 20 years in prison for an attempted hit-for-hire.

Robert Bashara / Michigan Department of Corrections

MDOC spokesman Russ Marlan said Bashara was being processed into the prison system this afternoon, had been assigned an MDOC number and had his booking photo taken. He was sentenced this morning by Wayne County Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow.

♦◊♦

Marlan said prisoners are typically at the reception and guidance center for about a month before being transferred. At the center, prisoners are given physical and mental health assessments and an evaluation that consists of 130 questions to assess their risk of recidivism and violence.

In court this morning, Bashara said he was sorry for his actions.

"I apologize to this court,” he said, reading from a statement. “I apologize to Mr. Gentz. I apologize to my family and friends."

♦◊♦

Gentz and his attorney Susan Reed were in court this morning. Reed read a victim impact statement on behalf of her client.

"I have been telling the truth from the beginning," she read from his statement. "Bob has used me and threatened me. He told me he had friends in the mafia and would have me killed."

Gentz, who turned himself in to police days after Jane Bashara's murder, has said he carried out the killing at Bob Bashara’s behest.

♦◊♦

Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Robert Moran said Bashara has denied guilt during phone calls from the jail since he pleaded guilty.

"He is still blaming someone else, not himself," Moran said, adding that Bashara's one-time position as a pillar of the community did not give him "a blank check to commit crime."

Moran said Bashara tried to hire someone to kill Gentz "not out of vengeance, but to protect himself." Reed has said her client would be willing to testify against Bashara if he is charged in that case.

Bashara said he understands he committed a crime.

"I certainly do not deny that it was difficult for me to come to the decision to plead guilty and subject myself to certain prison sentence, but I recognize that's what I had to do," he said. "Throughout my life, I have tried to help those less fortunate than myself and have worked tirelessly and I know that I have thrown all of the respect that I build in 40 years of helping people away."

Bashara occasionally paused to wipe away tears.

His mother and other family members were in court today, but declined to comment.

After being sentenced, he shook his head. His mother and other loved ones were in the courtroom.

After the October hearing in which Bashara pleaded guilty, prosecutors said he should be sentenced to between 81 and 135 months in prison. His attorney Mark Kriger said the sentence should be between 51 and 85 months, based on state sentencing guidelines.

Kriger said his client has lost support and had awards he earned from the Rotary Club taken away. He said Bashara has done good work in the community.

"This man has touched a lot of lives in this community," he said.

After the hearing, Kriger said of Bashara: "I do believe he's remorseful, yes."

-----

More at the Source: http://www.freep.com/article/20121210/NEWS05/121210025/Bashara-sentenced-80-240-months-plot-kill-handyman

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Bob Bashara expresses remorse before being sentenced

By Jameson Cook
jamie.cook@macombdaily.com; @jamesoncook
Posted: 12/10/12 10:06 am
Updated: 12/10/12 01:45 pm

Bob Bashara fought back against prosecutors’ allegations of dishonesty in his plea by apologizing and expressing remorse in court before he was sentenced Monday to 80 months to 20 years in prison.

---- FULL VIDEO from court is included (13:26) ----

Bashara received the sentence after pleading guilty two months ago to solicitation of murder, that he hired a hit man last June to kill Joe Gentz. Gentz is charged with murder and conspiracy after telling police Bashara hired him to kill Bashara’s wife, Jane, and could testify against him.

“The prosecution’s (sentencing) memorandum states I wasn’t honest in my plea,” Bashara told Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Bruce Morrow. “Absolutely wrong. I fully admitted that I tried to solicit someone to kill Mr. Gentz. I can’t begin to tell you how ashamed I am of what I did and how absolutely regretful I am for my actions.”

Assistant Wayne County prosecutor Robert Moran moments earlier noted that Bashara in his prior statement to the court said he merely “foolishly and regrettably offered” to pay money to a Detroit furniture store owner to have Gentz killed while he was housed in a Wayne County jail facility.

“What he did not say to the court was that he did pay some money to take a life,” Moran said, adding that he also minimized his role during recorded jailhouse conversations.

“He indicates over and over again on a number of calls that he was set up, that he was trapped, that, ‘I was pressured into doing this act,’” Moran said. “Again, blaming someone else. … He says, ‘I’m going to get a state paid vacation … because this guy sucked me in and I didn’t say no.’ Now that’s not an indication of someone who accepts responsibility for their actions because he’s still blaming someone else, not himself.”

“The first step to rehabilitation is to accept responsibility for his actions. He hasn’t got there.”

Bashara retorted to the judge: “My attempts to minimize my actions to those who continue to support was a desperate attempt on my part to somehow make sure that they would not abandon me as so many people have. … I understand I must pay for what I have done. I absolutely stand before you, my family and the world and take responsibility for my actions.”

Bashara’s voice cracked when he talked about his contributions to the community and taking care of his mother during his several-minute statement. At one point he wiped his cheek.

His mother, Nancy, aunt and a cousin attended the sentencing.

Gentz, Bashara’s target for death, sat 30 feet away in circuit count and at one point rested his elbows on his knees and kept his head bowed while Bashara talked.

Bashara’s sentence was near the top of the sentencing guideline range of 51 to 85 months. Bashara’s attorney, Mark Kriger, argued for 63 months while Wayne prosecutors argued for the top.

Gentz’s attorney in the murder case, Susan Reed, said after the sentencing that her client was pleased with the outcome.

“It’s near the high end,” she said. “That’s what we wanted.”

Reed in court read a relatively short, prepared statement by Gentz: “Bob has used me and threatened me. He told me he had friends in the mafia and would have me killed. Bob tried to make me look bad so no one would believe me. I was afraid for my life because he can get to you anywhere, even in jail. I went to police. No one believed me. I am still in fear and don’t feel safe anywhere.”

Reed said afterward that Gentz’s fear kept him from reading the statement himself.

“This is the first time he has seen Mr. Bashara since all of this happened,” she said. “He was shaking. He really shaking back there, being in the same room with him.”

Kriger, in response to a post-hearing question about his reaction, pointed out that prosecutors withdrew their request to sentence Bashara between 85 and 135 months after agreeing Bashara’s conduct was not “predatory.”

“At one point the prosecution thought he could get as much as 135 months,” Kriger said.

Gentz faces a pretrial Friday and a Jan. 7 trial date in front of Judge Vonda Evans.

Gentz, Bashara’s former handyman, told police Bashara paid him to strangle Jane Bashara, 56, a Mount Clemens native, on Jan. 24 in the couple Grosse Pointe Park garage. Her body was found the next day in her SUV parked in an east side Detroit alley.

Police and prosecutors say Bashara paid Steve Tibaudo $2,000 as a 10-percent down payment to have Gentz killed in the William Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramckto prevent Gentz from testifying against him.

After Bashara’s initial offer, Tibaudo went to police and wore a hidden wire to secretly tape-record further conversations with Bashara.

-----

Source: http://www.macombdaily.com/article/20121210/NEWS03/121219990/bob-bashara-gets-sentence-of-80-months-to-20-years#full_story

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Bob Bashara Gets Up to 20 Years for Hiring Hitman for Wife's Alleged Killer

By COLLEEN CURRY

Dec. 10, 2012

Grosse Pointe Park, Mich., businessman Bob Bashara was sentenced today to six to 20 years in prison for hiring a hitman to kill his wife's alleged murderer, to keep the man from testifying against him.

Bashara, 54, pleaded guilty in October to solicitation of murder charges for hiring a man to kill his former handyman, who allegedly confessed to killing Bashara's wife but said the businessman paid him to do it.

"I know I absolutely did wrong, what I did was inexcusable, and I have no one to blame but myself," Bashara said through tears in court today, according to ABC News affiliate WXYZ-TV in Detroit.

"I understand that I must pay before what I've done," he said. "I absolutely stand before you and my family and the world to take responsibility for my actions."

Bashara's wife Jane was found strangled in her Mercedes SUV in January 2012, in Detroit.

Shortly after, Bashara's handyman, Joe Gentz, confessed to the murder and told police that Bob Bashara had paid him to murder Jane.

Bashara denied involvement in his wife's murder and passed a polygraph, but became the center of attention when multiple women stepped forward claiming that they had been with Bashara at S&M parties in a sex club in the basement of Bashara's bar.

Local realtor Rachel Gillet, 50, also told police that she was Bashara's girlfriend and that Jane Bashara had discovered their relationships just weeks before her murder.

Bashara's attorney told reporters at the time that Bob and Jane Bashara had an open marriage. David Griem, Bashara's lawyer, said that an "alternative lifestyle" did not incriminate Bashara in the murder.

Griem also acknowledged that Bashara and Gentz had talked the day before the murder, and that he could not account for Bashara's whereabouts in the hours leading up to Jane's killing. He denied, however, that Bashara was involved in Jane's death.

♦◊♦

Bashara will be credited 168 days for time already served.

-----

More at the Source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/bob-bashara-sentenced-hiring-hitman-involved-wifes-murder/story?id=17926817

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:02 pm

Bashara sentenced to 80 to 240 months in prison for trying to have handyman killed

Bob Bashara pleaded guilty in October for trying to arrange the killing of Joe Gentz

Published On: Dec 10 2012 06:31:53 AM EST Updated On: Dec 10 2012 06:58:55 PM EST

---- TEXT & VIDEO (2:52) ----

DETROIT - Through tears, Bob Bashara on Monday said he was "truly and humbly sorry" for hiring a hit man to kill the man who is the suspect in his wife's slaying.

"What I did was inexcusable. I have no one to blame but myself," the Grosse Pointe Park man told the court. "But I understand fully what I did was a crime and something that I will regret for the rest of my life."

UNCUT: Bob Bashara sentenced for trying to have handyman killed (15:40)

♦◊♦

Wayne County Judge Bruce Morrow sentenced him Monday to a minimum of 80 months in prison and a maximum of 20 years. The state parole board will determine when to release him.

Watch: What's next for Bob Bashara? (2:53)

--------

More at the Source: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Bashara-sentenced-to-80-to-240-months-in-prison-for-trying-to-have-handyman-killed/-/1719418/17714694/-/13mhgrc/-/index.html

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:03 pm

http://mdocweb.state.mi.us/OTIS2/otis2profile.aspx?mdocNumber=856261

Click on Spoiler below to view:

Spoiler:

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:44 pm

"Gentz was returned to jail after the court hearing. The case against him in Jane Bashara's death is pending.

Bob Bashara will be eligible for parole after he serves the minimum term of 7-and-a-half years in prison."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57558464-504083/bob-bashara-mich-man-gets-prison-in-solicitation-of-murder-case

-------------

BBM ... lol

CBBM ... Media can't count by the looks of it .. it's not "7-and-a-half" years but 6 years and 8 months (It's 80 months minimum term) ... LESS almost "half" year credit for the time served (168 days) ... so it's around "6 years and 3 months" NET then...

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Detroit
December 10, 2012

Bashara sentenced to up to 20 years in prison

By K. Michelle Moran
C & G Staff Writer

For attempting to hire someone to kill Joseph Gentz, Robert Bashara, 54, of Grosse Pointe Park, can expect to spend roughly the next six to 20 years behind bars.

For pleading guilty to a charge of solicitation to commit murder, 3rd Circuit Court Judge Bruce U. Morrow ruled Dec. 10 that Bashara should spend the next 80-240 months in a state prison. Bashara will receive credit for the 168 days he’s already spent in the Wayne County Jail.

In June, the property manager/businessman was charged with solicitation of murder for hiring someone to kill Gentz, 48, the Grosse Pointe Park handyman who reportedly told police he killed Bashara’s wife, Jane Bashara, at her husband’s behest last January. Bashara has denied any involvement in his wife’s killing and had not been charged in connection with it as of press time. Gentz is slated to face a jury trial next month on charges of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

The sentence left Bashara visibly shaken as he dropped his head into his hands at one point and quietly repeated, “I can’t believe it. I can’t believe it.”

Bashara’s attorney, Mark Kriger, had been seeking less prison time, citing his client’s charitable work in the community, among other considerations. Kriger said Bashara’s volunteer work for organizations like the Rotary included the 3 million challenge, during which Bashara led a collection of 1 million pounds of food, 1 million pounds of clothing and 1 million pounds of books for the less fortunate.

“By any measure, this man has touched a lot of lives in the community. … There’s no question that what he did is extremely serious and extremely bad,” Kriger said. “But does what he did in his life count for nothing?”

Bashara’s decision to plead guilty, rather than going to trial, should also weigh in his favor, Kriger said.

“He could have gone to trial and he would have faced the same sentencing guidelines,” Kriger said. “He pled straight up to the crime. … He came to the decision that that was the right thing to do.”

Kriger asked the judge to consider a sentence of 63-95 months for Bashara — a year over the initial minimum sentence that had been under consideration.

But Robert Moran, one of the attorneys from the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, said Bashara should instead serve at least 85 months to life in prison.

“The defendant lacks remorse for his behavior,” Moran said. “He has not accepted personal responsibility for his conduct.”

Facing the man who tried to have him killed for the first time in months, a skittish-looking Gentz spent much of his time in the courtroom with his head low and his gaze fixed on the floor, occasionally conferring with one of the two attorneys flanking him.

Gentz declined to speak, but his attorney, Susan Reed, read a victim impact statement from him on his behalf.

“‘I have been telling the truth from the beginning,’” she read. “‘Bob has used me and threatened me. He told me he had friends in the Mafia and would have me killed. Bob tried to make me look bad so no one would believe me. I was afraid for my life, because he said he could get to me anywhere, even in jail. I went to the police. No one believed me. I am still in fear. I don’t feel safe anywhere.’”

The decision was a validation, of sorts, for Gentz.

“He’s been telling people all along, ‘Mr. Bashara threatened me,’” Reed said outside of the courtroom after the proceedings.

She said it was hard “as a defense attorney … to comment on whether a sentence is fair,” but seemed to be satisfied with the decision.

“We wanted (Bashara) to get the maximum sentence,” Reed said.

Bashara does still have his supporters — a small group that included his mother and aunt were in the courtroom for the sentencing — but prosecutors and Bashara himself said the defendant has lost much of the backing he once had.

Stopping periodically to wipe away tears, Bashara addressed the crime before the sentencing decision was rendered.

“I absolutely did wrong, and what I did was inexcusable and I have no one to blame but myself, and I understand fully that what I did was a crime and something I will regret for the rest of my life,” he said. “Pleading guilty was what I had to do.”

Bashara apologized to Gentz, the court, his family and his friends, many of whom have since cut ties with him.

“I made a promise to my grandfather that I would be there for my mother in her senior years,” said Bashara, just a few feet from his mother. “I ask that you offer me some leniency in my sentence.”

Moran was among those who weren’t moved by Bashara’s emotional appeal. He asked the judge to sentence Bashara on the high end of the guidelines, arguing that the crime he committed “is more serious than armed robbery, more serious than breaking and entering.”

In paperwork filed by the prosecutors before the sentencing, they said his actions were “premeditated and deliberate.”

“The evidence clearly shows that defendant Bashara was hell-bent on thwarting the investigation into his role in the cold-blooded murder of his wife, Jane Bashara,” the prosecutors’ sentencing memorandum read, in part. “The defendant’s ultimate goal was to silence Joseph Gentz in an effort not to avenge the murder of his wife, but to prevent Gentz from any future testimony against defendant Bashara.”

But Kriger disagreed with the picture prosecutors painted of Bashara.

“I do believe he’s remorseful,” Kriger said.

When asked if he was disappointed about the judge’s decision, Kriger said no, noting that the prosecutors had, at one point, been asking for a sentence of about 135 months.

“He’s holding up as well as one can expect. … He knew this day was coming,” Kriger said of his client after court.

Morrow said Bashara has the right to appeal his sentence.

As to where Bashara might be serving his time, that hadn’t been decided at press time.

----------

Source: http://www.candgnews.com/news/bashara-sentenced-20-years-prison

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 am

Tearful Bashara admits murder-for-hire plot, gets up to 20 years

10:46 PM, December 10, 2012

Wiping tears from his eyes, Grosse Pointe Park businessman Bob Bashara apologized and admitted his responsibility in a murder-for-hire plot on a handyman accused of killing Bashara’s wife.

But Bashara didn’t explain during his sentencing Monday why he wanted Joseph Gentz dead.

Prosecutors, however, say the motive was clear: Bashara was aiming to silence Gentz — a potential witness against him in his wife’s death.

“The evidence clearly shows that defendant Bashara was hell-bent on thwarting the investigation into his role in the cold-blooded murder of his wife, Jane Bashara,” a sentencing memorandum drafted by the prosecutor’s office says. “Defendant’s ultimate goal was to silence Joseph Gentz in an effort not to avenge the murder of his wife, but to prevent Gentz from any future testimony against defendant Bashara.”

Bashara was sentenced Monday to 80 months to 20 years in prison for trying to orchestrate a hit on Gentz, who told investigators he killed Jane Bashara in January at her husband’s direction.

Bashara pleaded guilty in October to solicitation of murder, admitting he tried to pay local furniture and appliance store owner Steve Tibaudo to find someone to kill Gentz. Tibaudo, who wore a wire for police during his conversations with Bashara, testified in July that Bashara paid him $2,000 toward the $20,000 price of the hit on Gentz.

Bashara has not been charged in his wife’s death, but has been called a suspect by police. Legal experts say prosecutors could use the murder-for-hire plot on Gentz as evidence against Bashara if he is charged in his wife’s murder.

Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, said Monday that Jane Bashara’s murder remains under investigation.

Reading from a statement in court Monday, Bashara said he was sorry for his actions.

“I understand fully what I did was a crime, and something I will regret for the rest of my life,” he said.

Gentz remains in fear, said his attorney, Susan Reed.

“I have been telling the truth from the beginning,” Reed read from a statement on his behalf. “Bob has used me and threatened me.”

Reed said Gentz remains in isolation at the William Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramck, where he has been held since being charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy in the death of Jane Bashara, who was found strangled in her SUV on Detroit’s east side.

Reed has said Gentz would be willing to testify against Bashara if he is charged. She said Gentz, who is due back in court Friday for a pretrial hearing, has not settled a plea agreement with prosecutors.

“We’re still reviewing all the options,” she said.

In a series of phone calls from the Wayne County Jail in October, Bashara indicated he was left with few options but to plead guilty to the solicitation charge.

In one recorded call, Bashara said he would be on a “state paid vacation” because he was set up.

But he told Wayne Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow that his comments during the calls were a desperate attempt to keep more people from abandoning him.

In a dozen letters sent to Morrow (Click HERE to view 12 letters to the judge in support of Bob Bashara in PDF format), Bashara’s supporters said he was a pillar in the community, and some felt his actions were out of character.

"Please keep in mind that I don’t think anyone is perfect, including Bob", his cousin, Stephanie Samuel, wrote in a Nov. 28 letter. "I do not condone his gross error. However, in my humble opinion, Bob is a kind man, a peacemaker … and a loving person."

Marcella Wilson, president and CEO of Matrix Human Services, wrote that Bashara bridged the relationship between the Rotary Club of Grosse Pointe and her organization.

Bashara’s attorney Mark Kriger said his client has done good work in the community — a fact he wanted considered at sentencing.

“This man,” Kriger said, “has touched a lot of lives in this community.”

Prosecutors contend that Bashara, in asking for Wilson’s support, offered to gift a house to her. They also say Bashara had another side — an adulterer who purportedly maintained a sex dungeon at a commercial property on Mack Avenue.

Experts say the murder-for-hire plot on Gentz could aid prosecutors if they charge Bashara in his wife’s death.

“The conviction against Bashara could potentially be admissible as ‘other acts’ evidence against him if the Wayne County prosecutor believes there is sufficient evidence to bring charges against him in connection with his wife’s murder,” University of Detroit Mercy law professor Larry Dubin said.

Bashara was booked in the Michigan Department of Corrections reception center just hours after being sentenced. MDOC spokesman Russ Marlan said prisoners are given blue prison uniforms with orange stripes down the side, emblazoned with their MDOC number.

In Bashara’s case, that number is 856261.
(Click) or (Click)

During Monday’s hearing, Bashara was weepy at times when reading his statement.

I understand,” he said, “that I must pay for what I have done.”

Contact Gina Damron: 313-223-4526 or gdamron@freepress.com

-------

Source: http://www.freep.com/article/20121210/NEWS05/121210025/Bashara-sentenced-80-240-months-plot-kill-handyman

*** P.S. In case the link for 12 letters to the judge in support of Bob Bashara in PDF format dies at the Detroit Free Press links provided above ... -- I uploaded that PDF Wink -- the alternative link to those those 12 letters is now HERE (Click)

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 pm

December 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm

'Ashamed' Bashara sentenced up to 20 years in plot to kill handyman

By Christine Ferretti and George Hunter
The Detroit News

Bob Bashara was sentenced to 80-240 months in prison Dec. 10, 2012 for trying to arrange the jailhouse killing of Joseph Gentz, the man accused of murdering Bashara's wife. The sentencing is the latest development in a case that has captivated Metro Detroit. (David Coates / The Detroit News)

... Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Robert Moran on Monday argued for a minimum prison term of 85 months and sought up to life for Bashara who he said isn't sorry.

"He's the one who decided to hire a hit man to kill someone," Moran told Morrow. "The first step to rehabilitation is to accept responsibility for one's actions. He hasn't gotten there yet."

But Kriger told the judge that his client has lost the support of many, adding recorded jailhouse calls reveal Bashara does have remorse.

"One of (Bashara's) friends says to him 'don't do anything stupid Bob,'" Kriger told Morrow of an "important call" between Bashara and the unnamed friend. "He says 'I already did."

Bashara's relatives declined to comment following the hearing Monday...

Joseph Gentz sits in court Dec. 10, 2012 as Bob Bashara is sentenced for trying to arrange his killing. Before he was ordered to prison for up to 20 years, Bashara tearfully told a judge Monday that he's "ashamed" and "regretful" over a plot he hatched to kill the former handyman accused of murdering his wife, Jane Bashara. (David Coates / The Detroit News)

“I stand before you. These words are true and these words are sincere,” Bashara told Morrow in his bid for “leniency.” “What I did is inexcusable. I have no one to blame but myself. What I did was a crime and something I will regret for the rest of my life. Pleading guilty is what I had to do.” (David Coates / The Detroit News)

----------

Read more from The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121210/METRO01/212100365

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Darkman wrote:

Spoiler:

Bob Bashara's birthday is today ... some way to celebrate 55 ( on 12-12-12 ), i guess Rolling Eyes

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Darkman wrote:

Spoiler:

They didn't have photo of BB there yesterday (at the link above) .. but i just noticed that they DO now ... same photo that I pasted in the image's empty space yesterday (you can see it under the above spoiler) Very Happy

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:26 am

Bashara: Up to 20 years

Kathy Ryan, Staff Writer

December 13, 2012

DETROIT — Bob Bashara was sentenced Monday to 80 months to 20 years in prison for attempting to hire a hit man to kill Joseph Gentz.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow handed down the sentence, apparently unmoved by Bashara's tearful plea that he was "ashamed" by his actions in trying to kill Gentz, the man charged with the January murder of Bob's wife, Jane Bashara.

"These words are true and sincere," Bashara told the court, his voice breaking. "I know what I did was wrong. I have no one to blame but myself. I understand this was a crime and I will regret it for the rest of my life. I am ashamed of what I did and I can't tell you how regretful I am of my actions."

Bashara broke down several times while reading his statement, his voice shaking as he spoke of being abandoned by his friends and of his concerns for his family.

"I made a promise to my grandfather to be there for my mother in her senior years," he said. "I ask that you offer me some leniency."

♦◊♦

Bashara, who has been held since his arrest in the Wayne County jail, was transferred Monday afternoon to the custody of the Michigan Department of Corrections. He will be held at the MDOC reception facility in Jackson for about 30 days where he will be evaluated before being assigned a facility where he will serve out his term.

Bashara's mother was in the courtroom for the sentencing, and she was allowed to visit privately with him. The family declined comment.

-----

More at the Source: http://www.grossepointenews.com/Articles-News-i-2012-12-13-248628.114135-Bashara-Up-to-20-years.html

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:43 pm

December 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Bashara gets new address: state prison in Jackson

By George Hunter
The Detroit News

Jackson — The man once known as the Mayor of Middlesex is now prisoner No. 856261.

Spoiler:

Robert Bashara spent his 55th birthday in the Charles Egeler Reception And Guidance Center in Jackson on Tuesday after being sentenced a day earlier by Wayne Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow to 6 to 20 years in prison for trying to hire a hit man to kill his former handyman, Joseph Gentz.

Bashara pleaded guilty to the solicitation of murder charge, saying during his sentencing Monday he was "ashamed" and "regretful" for hatching the plot.

Gentz is due in court Friday for a final pre-trial conference on charges he fatally strangled Bashara's wife, 56-year-old marketing executive Jane Bashara, in the couple's garage the night of Jan. 24. Prosecutors say Gentz then loaded her body into her Mercedes SUV and dropped the vehicle off in an alley on Detroit's east side, where it was found the next morning by a tow truck driver.

Bashara once lived in a stately brick home on Middlesex in Grosse Pointe Park, and, after being charged with solicitation in June, had occupied one of the Wayne County Jail's two "habeas cells" — private quarters away from the general population

But state corrections officials say the former real estate entrepreneur may not be isolated from other prisoners after he goes through a month-long intake and assessment process at the Egeler Center, where all male prisoners in Michigan first report after sentencing.

"I don't anticipate that he would not be placed in general population, but if through the intake and screening process they determine that he might be at risk, then they could put him into protective custody," Michigan Department of Corrections spokesman Russ Marlan said.

"But just because someone may have been involved in a noteworthy case, that doesn't automatically necessitate separate placement," Marlan said.

Stephen Grant, who strangled and dismembered his wife Tara in a 2006 case that garnered national attention, remains in protective custody at the Bellamy Creek Correctional Facility in Ionia.

"It's something that's determined on a case-by-case basis," Marlan said. "In Grant's case, (prison officials) obviously think there's still a danger."

During his stay at the Egeler Center, Bashara will undergo physical and mental health screenings, and prison officials will determine his level of security.

"That will determine which facility he's sent to," Marlan said.

Although the solicitation case is now closed, there are still several loose ends dangling in Jane Bashara's murder case.

Gentz was charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder, meaning prosecutors believe he did not act alone. The developmentally delayed former handyman told police Robert Bashara paid him less than $2,000 and the promise of a used Cadillac to kill Jane Bashara.

Originally, the murder plot called for Gentz to run the victim down with a car and make it look like an accident, police sources told The News.

Shortly after the slaying, Gentz walked into the Grosse Pointe Park police station to confess to the murder.

Bashara, who admitted he tried to hire a furniture store owner to kill Gentz so he wouldn't testify against him, has also been named a suspect in his wife's murder, although he hasn't been charged.

Prior to the murder, Bashara was involved in numerous charities around the Pointes. But after news of the murder broke, along with revelations of his private life that included affairs with at least two women and ownership of a sex dungeon in the basement of a bar he owned, he was reportedly shunned.

According to briefs filed by prosecutors, Bashara was asked to leave a church function, and had his Rotary Club awards rescinded.

"It would seem that Bashara's charitable activities may not stem simply from the goodness of his heart," prosecutors wrote in a Dec. 7 sentencing memorandum. "Rather, Bashara's community involvement stems from his need to be the big man on campus, to be the center of attention, to be 'BIG BOB.'"

Bashara's earliest release date is Feb. 24, 2019, according to the Michigan Department of Corrections website.

ghunter@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2134

--------

Read more from The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121213/METRO/212130482

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:41 am

Joe Gentz is due in court TODAY for a final pre-trial conference on charges he fatally strangled Bashara's wife, 56-year-old marketing executive Jane Bashara.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121213/METRO/212130482

Darkman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top